Located in a scenic site on the Park’s south side, the airfield is managed by the Santa Barbara Radio Control Modelers (SBRCM), a club that promotes the hobby of model aviation in a safe and enjoyable manner. No drones allowed.
Elings Park is one of the few locations in Santa Barbara to fly electric remote-controlled model aircraft.
Requirements to Fly
You must be a paid SBRCM member, “Elings Park Electric Flyers”, or a guest of a club member.
AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) membership is also required to provide liability insurance for modeling activities.
New flyers must present proof of valid memberships in SBRCM and AMA and register with Elings Park at the Park administrative offices.
Please follow the following guidelines to ensure the continued availability of this flying site. Noise and safety are the primary issues of concern.
These guidelines, and common-sense courtesy, will provide an enjoyable and safe experience for all.
- Electric powered aircraft and gliders only. Ducted fans or other high RPM (loud) electrics are prohibited at this site.
- If there is any chance that adjacent homeowners will hear your model, do not fly.
- No over-flight of spectators or other assembled groups.
- Only 2.4 GHz radios may be used to ensure there is no frequency conflict.
- No drones allowed.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to hang gliders and paraglides using the adjacent site is required.
- Hang gliders and paragliders have priority usage of this site and the right of way at all times.
- Do not encroach upon the airspace or landing area that is being used by the hang gliders and paragliders.
- A spotter is required for each RC pilot during hang glider operations to ensure that the RC pilot maintains safe separation from all airborne hang gliders.
- RC flying should be suspended at the lower site when hang gliders or paragliders are airborne.